Our Lady of Lourdes and Bro. Gregory Casey

Today is the Memorial of Our Lady of Lourdes.

One of my heroes, Bro. Gregory Casey ficp, a fellow De La Mennais Brother, worked tirelessly for 20+ years in #Lourdes to organise liturgies for English-language groups. He had a little office to the left of the Basilica where all received the same warm welcome: from youngsters to bishops.


This photo is of the 2 of us in 1986 while I was there with the #HCPT. Four years later, he came to my Noviciate in Ciboure (nr. St. Jean-de-Luz, 2 hrs. drive from Lourdes) for the opening Mass of my Noviciate year.


Our Novice Master then took our group for frequent weekends to Lourdes (about 8 all told) over the rest of the Noviciate year, knowing that I had someone there from my home country who could act as a mentor for me. “Grogs” would get me singing in the underground Basilica choir for the International Masses, saying the Rosary at the microphone for the outdoor processions, etc...

There are things he told me that have stuck with me ever since:

- “Make the most of your Noviciate. Mine was the best year of my life. The way you live it will lay down the blueprint for the rest of your religious life.”
- “Throw yourself wholeheartedly into your religious duties in community and your outside apostolate, and if you have certain wholesome interests that are important for your personal equilibrium your confrères will cut you some slack and let you indulge them.”


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

District 9 - a sci-fi anti-apartheid allegory and the first handheld camera masterpiece?

God You don't need me, but somehow You want me - Tenth Avenue North, “Control”

Transcendent God