‘80s nostalgia

Having a bit of fun listening to some old favourite 1980s songs nice and loud in my bedroom... feel 17 again!! The menu is an eclectic mix of

The Icicle Works, XTC, early REM, The Cocteau Twins, Talk Talk, Prefab Sprout, Ultravox, early OMD + Depeche Mode, The Smiths, The Cure, Clannad, Kate Bush, Crowded House and more...

What do "Vienna" by Ultravox and "Hollow Horse" by The Icicle Works (a song that has a very important place in my personal journey) have in common?

Well, in my opinion, both have very well written and constructed bridge sections (typically the section of the song after the 2nd chorus that introduces contrasting music/lyrics that provide - in the best of cases - fresh momentum in the build-up to a barnstorming final chorus) and when, in each case, the final chorus does arrive it does so on a wave of emotion and sound that just sends shivers down my spine, even now, all these years after having first heard them.

Now THAT'S what I call good songwriting! Who writes good bridge sections these days?

Check them out yourselves. First up, here's the less well-known "Hollow Horse":


... and the classic "Vienna.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

District 9 - a sci-fi anti-apartheid allegory and the first handheld camera masterpiece?

God You don't need me, but somehow You want me - Tenth Avenue North, “Control”

Transcendent God