“Anthropoid” (dir. Sean Ellis, 2016)

I thought in advance that this would be another worthy, workman-like war "true story", but I was pleasantly surprised. It's beautifully shot, the final sequence, in particular, took my breath away. The cast was a mixture of Irish (north + south), English and native Czech. If you can get past the resultant kaleidoscope of accents what you get is a dramatic, well acted, artistically filmed and ultimately moving retelling of a major event in the history of the Czechoslovak peoples that is seemingly much less well known elsewhere. It also benefits greatly from a wonderfully atmospheric score by Robin Foster. The plot partially reminded me of the true story behind Sir Michael Tippett's wonderful oratorio, "A Child Of Our Time". (Look it up. It's worth it.)

Thoroughly recommended.

Oh and Cillian Murphy burns through the screen, as usual.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

District 9 - a sci-fi anti-apartheid allegory and the first handheld camera masterpiece?

God You don't need me, but somehow You want me - Tenth Avenue North, “Control”

Transcendent God