Called + chosen - Vocation Sunday

In honour of Vocation Sunday tomorrow here's an excellent post from DVO app.







March 1
He has saved us and called us to a holy life—not because of anything we have done but because of His own purpose and grace... 2 Tim 1:9 (NIV)
Vocation - Part 1
What's your calling?

Growing up in church this question was bandied about almost as much as "how are you today?" The urgency of the way in which it was always asked made me nervous.

What IS my calling? Am I called? Am I one of the few chosen? Are we all chosen? What if I'm not chosen? What if I'm just normal? I want to change the world? How will I do it? What will I do? Will I succeed? Will I fail? Am I the ONE?

These are the questions/thoughts/fears that would flood my mind and heart at the very mention of 'calling.' The pressure was paralysing and I made many of my choices more in accordance with what the perceived outcome of my life should be rather than what I felt in my bones. There was a sense of sacrifice attached to the feeling of what my calling would be. Not the normal, good kind of sacrifice when you think of things like exercise, practice, devotion, study etc... but a kind of 'self minimising sacrifice' that stemmed from things like my misunderstanding of Johns quote "more of Him, less of me" (that devotion will be coming in a day or two).

We've overdone, over-spiritualized and overcomplicated "calling" for a long time.

So for the purposes of this series, we are going to redefine calling - and to start off we're going to talk about it in terms of "vocation."

Vocation: "A particular occupation or profession; calling. A strong impulse or inclination to follow a particular activity or career. A divine call to God's service or to the Christian life. A function or station in life to which one is called by God."

It's the essence of our existence - what am I here FOR? What will I leave behind, and how will my days impact the world? It is the divine woven into our function. You, my friend, are here on purpose. You are not random, you are not an anomaly or a mistake... You ARE deliberate.

Your vocation shouldn't fill you with dread. It is yours. What you do with your life is up to YOU. From the outset of this little discussion, know that when it comes to your purpose, you need to OWN it. And to own it, you need to find it.

And it's not as hidden away as you might think... It's in your bones, in your blood, in your heart.

Have a look inside. What makes you tick? What makes your body feel fluid? What makes your heart leap out of your chest? What makes you angry, what gives you hope, what captures your attention? These are all clues to help you discover the "why" to your life.

"Don't ask what the world needs. Ask what makes you come alive, and go do it. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive." Howard Thurman.

TBC

Privacy: This service is not intended to encourage spam. The details provided by your friend have been used for the sole purpose of facilitating this email communication and have not been retained by Alphapod. Your personal details have not been added to any database or mailing list. © Alphapod 2014. All rights reserved.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

District 9 - a sci-fi anti-apartheid allegory and the first handheld camera masterpiece?

God You don't need me, but somehow You want me - Tenth Avenue North, “Control”

Transcendent God