Holy Week with the Benedictines of Landévennec

While on retreat last week during Holy Week at Landévennec Benedictine monastery, Finistère, I read this beautiful passage from a book I had with me: "The Contagion of Jesus" by the recently departed Benedictine (Downside) theologian Dom Sebastian Moore osb. 

"And he is there for us with death far behind him, alive as he never was before. And then the most extraordinary thing happens. To make contact with my true self, I had to be alone in the desert. Now that the stranger has come to me showing himself to me as the eternal me, I am no longer alone among people. I am directed toward them in love. To be a believer is to have come to myself, so that I can see in others not images for envy and distraction, but members of one body of Christ. For when Jesus rose from the dead, he rose into everybody, and into the whole universe, to be the cosmic Christ...

Here we all are, and there's the stranger, the pioneer, urging us to dive in at the deep end and learn to swim by so doing. In those first faltering strokes, we come to know him who is the water."

(Belated) Happy Easter to you all!!



The abbey church at Landévennec.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

District 9 - a sci-fi anti-apartheid allegory and the first handheld camera masterpiece?

God You don't need me, but somehow You want me - Tenth Avenue North, “Control”

Transcendent God