Brother Gus (1925-2012)

While Bro. Francis and myself were at our General Chapter in Brittany for nearly 4 weeks, our confrère in Southampton, Bro. Augustine (Gus), stayed in our Liverpool community, one he knew well having spent much of his teaching apostolate at our Liverpool school, St. Francis Xavier's College. He himself was born just around the corner from Everton's ground in north Liverpool and was a lifelong Everton's fanatic.

However, Gus' health had deteriorated over the past few months and within a few days of arriving in Liverpool he was admitted to hospital with kidney and heart problems. He ended up spending over 3 weeks there before passing away peacefully yesterday evening.


My last photo of Gus, taken at Beaulieu in the New Forest in February this year.



Christmas 2006


Gus was a very popular, lovable Scouse rogue with a natural sense of fun. His Chemistry lessons were renowned for their explosiveness! I think you could describe him as an old school maverick, one who very much did things his way. He was also a very prayerful, devout man and a pleasure to be with in community.
Francis and I (and many, many more besides) will miss him dearly.

R.I.P. Gus


Christmas 2010




Comments

TONY said…
I am sorry to hear of Gus's death.

I have sent a link to your blog to the other Ches lot.

All the best,
Tony
Bro. Jim Hayes said…
Thanks Tony
John Lodge said…
James,
Am saddened to hear of Gus' death. He was a wonderful teacher and colleague. Have you details of the funeral?
Best,
John Lodge
John Lodge said…
James
I was saddened to hear of Gus' death. He was a wonderful teacher and colleague.
Do you have details of the funeral?
John Lodge
Jimmy Coffey said…
I am so sorry to hear of Bro Augustine's death. In a very strict environment at Ches he was a ray of sunshine. I remember him with affection as my chemistry teacher, football manager, theatrical director, tractor driving instructor, minibus driver and cofrere.
'watch the board whilst I run through it'
Polygon represented as an empty bird cage.
Exploding volcanoes.
Jimmy Coffey
Bro. Jim Hayes said…
Thank you Jimmy.

Gus' funeral is on Tues. at Bishop Eton Parish, Liverpool.

God bless.

Popular posts from this blog

District 9 - a sci-fi anti-apartheid allegory and the first handheld camera masterpiece?

God You don't need me, but somehow You want me - Tenth Avenue North, “Control”

Transcendent God