Desire change

It's been a while since I posted on here. I suppose I've been having a bit of "time off" from certain activities in the aftermath of our school production (see a previous article from Feb.). Needing to "chill" for a couple of weeks.

During this time we had our half-term break. I attended the cremation of a cycling friend of mine in the Wirral (nr. Liverpool) and while I was there took the chance to visit some old friends of mine from my 17 years living there, one of whom has just been diagnosed with malignant throat cancer. Those few days were nonetheless a joyous time of friendship and laughter.

****************

I was sent the below poem recently and it struck a chord with me. Change can be frightening, but openness to change is a prerequisite of letting the Spirit work within you, modelling you ever more closely into the image of Christ.


SONNETS TO ORPHEUS: II, 12 (stanza 1)

Desire change. Be enthusiastic for that flame
in which a thing escapes your grasp
while it makes a glorious display of transformation.
That designing Spirit, the master mind of all things on earth
loves nothing so much in the sweeping movement of the dance
as the turning point.

link: Sonnets of Orpheus II 12, stanza 1, by Rainer Maria Rilke, translated by Br. David Steindl-Rast


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

District 9 - a sci-fi anti-apartheid allegory and the first handheld camera masterpiece?

God You don't need me, but somehow You want me - Tenth Avenue North, “Control”

Transcendent God