Friendship + God's grace

Friendships have been a source of tremendous consolation in my life and have also been channels for God's grace. It never ceases to amaze me how just when you need it most a friend can be there for you with a kindly gesture, word, message... I try to offer that same presence to those same friends and make sure I am with them in their time of need.

Ultimately, such relationships are what life is about.

And since Christmas, a particular friend has been a true channel of grace, acting in such a way towards me that I have felt God's love most deeply through that person: as if they were my guardian angel sent by God to look after me.

I pray that all of you who might read this might have hearts open to receive (and/or continue receiving) the gift of such a person into your lives, and that you may allow yourselves to be "sent" by God to those friends of yours who, in turn, are in need of a guardian angel right now.


Comments

Aidan said…
Great to know that you have been so blessed, Bro James. The wish that you express at the end of that blog entry is indeed dependent on us having our hearts open to our friends. Without that, we can easily overlook or miss the needs of others for support and we can ignore friends' potential for helping us if we're too concerned with creating an impression of invulnerability. My experience tells me that times of vulnerability can be times of real learning and enrichment if we are open enough to reach out to others and ask for help. And I'm not alone in this: the major development in the spirituality of Ignatius of Loyola came during and after a time of despair (in Manresa, for those familiar with Ignatius' story). So go on: dare to make yourself open to your friends and attend sensitively when they make themselves open to you.
Bro. Jim Hayes said…
Thank you, Aidan!

What you say about vulnerability/invulnerability is very true. What you say about St. Ignatius actually makes me think of Jesus in the desert prior to the start of his ministry and how, in putting himself in a situation where he could be tempted and tested, he allowed himself to become vulnerable, a sign of his being fully human. Subsequent actions and events bear this out: crying at the death of Lazarus, the Garden of Gethsemane, "Eloi, eloi..."

And therefore God the Father, through creating us and ultimately through the Incarnation, becomes, in a sense, vulnerable to rejection by us, his creation.

If God truly is love, then God must be vulnerable... an interesting topic to explore!

God bless.
Aidan said…
Hmm...God as vulnerable...I hope this blog isn't being monitored by anyone determined to find heresy!

Joking aside, Bro James, your reasoning reminds me of truths that I tend to forget at times, especially the nature and action of the Trinity. The Father and the Spirit were always one with the Son and so, through the Incarnation, the Father did indeed become vulnerable and laid Godself open to both the wonders and the failings of us as His creation.

At times of vulnerability, I always recall Jesus' experiences of vulnerability during his ministry but your reflections remind me too of the 'risk' involved for the Godhead in the Incarnation and hence of the magnitude of the gift of the Incarnation.

Popular posts from this blog

District 9 - a sci-fi anti-apartheid allegory and the first handheld camera masterpiece?

God You don't need me, but somehow You want me - Tenth Avenue North, “Control”

Transcendent God