Sponsored cycle: Southampton - Berlin. The photos - part 2.

Photos from days 5-7. 


Day 5 - The cycle paths through Belgium, Holland and Germany were on the whole nicely tarmaced, clearly indicated and a pleasure to ride. There were a few exceptions, however... This was indicated as a cycle path!!




Having arrived at Gerleve Benedictine monastery: the cloister.




I came back from Compline (the last prayer time of the day for the monks) to find this most welcome bottle of beer at my door with a glass + bottle opener. Nice touch.













Day 6 - Leaving Gerleve the next morning. Camera on timer.





More sun, right from the word go at 7am.




Here I just liked the lines created by the trees and the road together. The cycle path is in the shadows on the left.




It was the feast of Corpus Christi. I crossed a procession to the church here in this town, Telgte, as I left this square.




Approaching Porta Westfalica, a famous pass between 2 large hills/small mountains that acts as a gateway into the next region, Westfalia.




An action shot that isn't... I'd actually stopped and took the photo myself but made it look like I was still riding.



After my 137 miles (220km - the longest day) I got a wonderful welcome from the Franciscans at Hanover, especially from this gentleman Fr. Paulus.




Day 7 - Some more interesting cycle tracks. I decided to drop down and follow this canal tow path as it was indicated by signposts.




But it too soon became more like a field...




... leading to more cobbles!!



The picturesque old town of Braunschweig.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

District 9 - a sci-fi anti-apartheid allegory and the first handheld camera masterpiece?

God You don't need me, but somehow You want me - Tenth Avenue North, “Control”

Transcendent God