A visit to Winchester Cathedral

When friends come to stay, whether it be here in Southampton or when I lived in Liverpool, it is always an excuse to go and visit places of interest (with my guest(s)) that I would otherwise not make the effort to go and see. In this way I went to Winchester Cathedral last weekend, taking a visiting friend.

It is a very interesting cathedral, though perhaps not amongst my absolute favourites (near neighbour Salisbury Cathedral would, however, fit into that category most comfortably). This time though, there was the added bonus of a striking late afternoon sun that bathed the west door in early spring sunlight....


... and a visit to a flooded Crypt (I can't remember it being flooded on my previous visits, though apparently it is a common occurrence) where Antony Gormley's 1986 statue "Sound II" took on a whole new and quite magical character due to being surrounded by water a few inches deep and perfectly still, reflecting the rounded arches above.


I could have stayed there for hours contemplating the scene in its stillness and beauty.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

District 9 - a sci-fi anti-apartheid allegory and the first handheld camera masterpiece?

God You don't need me, but somehow You want me - Tenth Avenue North, “Control”

Transcendent God