Robin Smith - a dear friend, rest in peace

This afternoon I was devastated to hear that a good friend and fellow cyclist had died this morning of a heart-attack. Robin Smith, a semi-retired architect and keen long-distance cyclist was a lovely, lovely guy, a true gentleman in the best sense of the word. He and his wife Ann have been very good friends to me these past few years and I was so glad that they were able to come to my small farewell party a couple of weeks ago the day before I moved to Southampton.

Over the last few years Robin, Ann and myself regularly went to the FACT cinema in Liverpool to see the latest arthouse/foreign film, following it with a meal at one of the nearby restaurants. Robin was always great fun to be with + great company. I will miss him dearly. Our thoughts + prayers go out to Ann and their family.

Robin + Ann at the Birkenhead North End Cycling Club annual dinner, 2008

Some photos from my last ride with Robin in mid-July, a couple of weeks before I moved away from Liverpool.

Robin (a café in Corwen, N. Wales)



Pete Smith (no relation) + Robin


Myself + Robin on the Carrog road heading for the "Panorama" climb near Llangollen.
3 comments

Popular Posts

Being successful + serving God, or being successful vs. serving God - pt. 1

40 acts for Lent

“We come alive when we step beyond the comforts of what we know.” Tim Foreman