Robin Smith - a dear friend, rest in peace

This afternoon I was devastated to hear that a good friend and fellow cyclist had died this morning of a heart-attack. Robin Smith, a semi-retired architect and keen long-distance cyclist was a lovely, lovely guy, a true gentleman in the best sense of the word. He and his wife Ann have been very good friends to me these past few years and I was so glad that they were able to come to my small farewell party a couple of weeks ago the day before I moved to Southampton.

Over the last few years Robin, Ann and myself regularly went to the FACT cinema in Liverpool to see the latest arthouse/foreign film, following it with a meal at one of the nearby restaurants. Robin was always great fun to be with + great company. I will miss him dearly. Our thoughts + prayers go out to Ann and their family.

Robin + Ann at the Birkenhead North End Cycling Club annual dinner, 2008

Some photos from my last ride with Robin in mid-July, a couple of weeks before I moved away from Liverpool.

Robin (a café in Corwen, N. Wales)



Pete Smith (no relation) + Robin


Myself + Robin on the Carrog road heading for the "Panorama" climb near Llangollen.

Comments

Felicity Brown said…
Jim and I are so very sorry to hear this news, James. You had often spoken to us about Robin and, of, course he and his wife were at your farewell get-together.

We send our deepest sympathy to Ann and his family at this very sad time.

In our thoughts and prayers.

Fiz and Jim Brown
Bro. Jim Hayes said…
Thanks both of you.
Victoria Mildew said…
Grant Eternal Rest of his soul, O Lord

Pax

VM

<><

Popular posts from this blog

District 9 - a sci-fi anti-apartheid allegory and the first handheld camera masterpiece?

God You don't need me, but somehow You want me - Tenth Avenue North, “Control”

Transcendent God