Traditional Catholicism in the blogosphere and beyond....

A comment I left on another blog.... http://holyfamoley.blogspot.com/ to the message "In a confused mood".

I can sympathise. I sometimes wonder myself about the tone of many Catholic blogs out there (and you haven't mentioned MySpace... don't look there otherwise you really will get upset!!). I think the problem you flag up stems from the broader issue of what many younger adult Catholics (especially young seminarians, priests, religious...) seem to find attractive about being Catholic, eg. the strong sense of identity that comes from following traditional teachings to the letter and the adherence to traditional codes of behaviour. This can get reflected in many ways, such as in a desire for traditional clerical dress, in old-school devotions, in liturgical choices, etc...

Perhaps, the blame for this should be laid upon elements of the modern world we live in that many people find threatening, eg. the "moral relativism" that Pope Benedict has frequently attacked. Certainties and traditions can thus be seen as a refuge for many people.

This is not to say that such rigid traditionalism is necessarily healthy, just that it is perhaps understandable given the world we live in.

Treading a more open-minded path leaves one more vulnerable to doubt and uncertainty, though I believe it is the more healthy and rewarding path, for those who feel strong enough to cope. It's the path I believe Jesus took and it's the path that allows us to reach out to people beyond the boundaries of Church in a way that allows for greater openness and sharing.

Maybe many of the more "reasonable" Catholics out there just aren't as fired up about their faith and wanting to share it with others as they could/should be.

I'm glad that people like yourself are, however. The worst thing would be if you were to raise the white flag and beat a retreat. There's room in the Church for all of us, but we certainly need more solid frontiersfolk prepared to reach out in an unthreatening (though still gently challenging) way to our fellow brothers and sisters.

God bless.

Bro. James

Comments

Holy Famoley said…
Brother James, many thanks for your input. I am currently reading 'What is the Point of Being a Christian?' by Timothy Radcliffe and have just read a chapter dealing with just this issue. This, combined with your comment is helping me to gain some valuable insight into the matter. You are so right, treading a path which, so clearly, flies in the face of everything that the tradtionalists hold dear is not easy. But over the years I have come to think that, uncomfortable though it may be at times, this is the place God wants me to be (I have numerous 'Protestant' friends who love me and would welcome me into their communites with open arms - at times that feels very attractive). But I also know that anything worth having is worth fighting for. I just get very weary at times. Thankfully my parish priest is a rock and puts up with my angst whilst providing excellent spiritual direction!
Bro. Jim Hayes said…
You are undoubtedly right that God is calling you to be just where you are. Having reflected some more on the question, I think that one of our toughest challenges will be to not only stretch out a hand beyond the boundaries of Church to those on the fringes, but to also stretch out the other way, in love, to those who have a deep and sincere love of the more formal traditions within the Church and who find in them their strength. Myself as a Chaplain, I have to very aware of this and not allow my own instinctive attractions to particular types of faith expression not come between me and my ministry to teenagers and young adults.

I have to accept in humility that these people have a great deal that they can teach me through the depth of their faith, its simplicity and directness which in itself is so admirable.

I've found a book that you may find interesting/enlightening. I've ordered a copy for myself. You can read some of it from the Amazon web page. Try the first few pages.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/New-Faithful-Colleen-Carroll/dp/0829420428/ref=sr_1_5/203-5451996-0157521?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1174579418&sr=8-5

God bless.

Bro. James

Popular posts from this blog

District 9 - a sci-fi anti-apartheid allegory and the first handheld camera masterpiece?

God You don't need me, but somehow You want me - Tenth Avenue North, “Control”

Transcendent God