What makes you come alive?

Here's the first of a selection of devotions from those lovely people at DVO that I have found spiritually nourishing in recent weeks. This first one takes the same approach to vocation as I do when taking to pupils in school, using as a starting point that which fires us up, about which we are passionate.



January 5, 2017

Before you saw the light of day, I had holy plans for you.

Jer 1:5 (MSG)

MOVING FORWARD - PART 4

What makes you come alive?

What do you find yourself dreaming about? Or gravitating to whenever you have spare time? What brings you joy? What makes your blood boil? What would get you out of bed in the middle of the night?

Before you or I had any material form, somehow we existed in the heart and imagination of God.

He said to Jeremiah,

"Before I shaped you in the womb, I knew all about you. Before you saw the light of day, I had holy plans for you: A prophet to the nations—that's what I had in mind for you." Jeremiah 1:5 (MSG)

The things that naturally excite you, make you angry, or make your blood zing, are hard-wired into you. For me, a brilliant film, a beautiful novel, a well-told story – these things make me come alive. (Hello, Sherlock has just come back!) I could LIVE in a bookstore; I love being at home on my own; I know my overall purpose has something to do with stories – my passions and callings are linked. And within the pursuit of storytelling as my vocation, I experience lots of nuances and moments of purpose along the way, folded up into it.

My husband Jesse is logical and linear. He loves science, problem-solving, philosophy, psychology, and coffee! It makes sense that he's pursuing all those things as a vocation.

Let's not confuse vocation with work. Sometimes we get to get paid to do the things we love, and sometimes we get to do them for free. But it's important that we do, and that we take our responsibility to provide for those we love and care for seriously.

And sometimes our passions change. Our lives get divinely interrupted, and we take on new paths and passions. Follow your curiosity. Spirit often uses it to get your attention.

When trying to figure out how to move forward, what to do next, start with the thing you love most first. You could sit around waiting to hear a loud voice from the heavens affirming your decisions and lighting up the path. Or you could just start. And just so you know, I've never heard that loud voice… it's been more inner whispers of excitement, anger, joy, fear - all the emotions that tell me I'm close to something that is impacting my heart - that guide me on my way.

Your life is holy. You don't need to outsource your calling; go searching for it… you'll find it within you, woven into your spirit, around your heart, and through your mind. You'll start seeing it on your hands and in your footprints. You'll begin to recognize it in the stories you tell and the places you go…

"Don't ask what the world needs. Ask what makes you come alive, and go do it. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive." – Howard Thurman.

More tomorrow…

Written by Liz Milani.



Privacy: This service is not intended to encourage spam. The details provided by your friend have been used for the sole purpose of facilitating this email communication and have not been retained by Alphapod. Your personal details have not been added to any database or mailing list. © Alphapod 2014. All rights reserved.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

District 9 - a sci-fi anti-apartheid allegory and the first handheld camera masterpiece?

God You don't need me, but somehow You want me - Tenth Avenue North, “Control”

Transcendent God