This is my life

It's summer and I'm feeling philosophical...

I'm in a train crossing through France, watching (on my fruit-flavoured tablet gadget) the lovely "Before Sunrise" with Julie Delpy and Ethan Hawke (dir. Richard Linklater - "Boyhood") whose characters first meet on a train crossing through Central Europe... Hawke's character comes out with a statement that summarises so well how I feel much of the time: 

"I always think that I'm still this 13 year old boy [i would say 17, myself] who doesn't really know how to be an adult, pretending to live my life, taking notes for when I'll really have to do it... kinda like I'm in a dress rehearsal for a Junior High play..."

... Except that the dress rehearsal IS the play, and it's for one night only!! 

Thoughts like this make me think back on my life and on all that has happened in the years since I was 17 and that simultaneously terrifying and reassuring moment of realisation in my heart that God wanted me to be a De La Mennais Brother... all the people I have come to know, the things I've done and not done, the places I've been to... 

And I feel so blessed!!

"Yesterday is a kid in the corner. Yesterday is dead and over. This is your life, are you who you want to be?... Don't close your eyes!" (Switchfoot, "This Is Your Life")

I'll keep on doing my best to keep my eyes open, to be the person God wants me to be because that is who I want to be. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

District 9 - a sci-fi anti-apartheid allegory and the first handheld camera masterpiece?

God You don't need me, but somehow You want me - Tenth Avenue North, “Control”

Transcendent God